David Beadle owned the north half of Papillion, Samuel Meade Pike the south half.
The Sarpy House Hotel, shown in this circa 1876 photo, was built in autumn of 1870 by John Eisele. After Papillion began using electric lights, Sarpy House owner R. E. Tallon was the first to apply them to advertising, installing a flashing sign on the corner of his building in 1911.
PAPILLION AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETYPeople are also reading…
- Aristh Rodriguez-Linares found guilty of manslaughter Wednesday in Dawson County District Court
- Aristh Rodriguez-Linares takes the stand in state’s case against him Monday
- 'Took my breath away' — Elm Creek, nearby communities unite at vigil for 3 injured teens
- Defendant Rodriguez-Linares continues testimony Tuesday
- Greyson Bjorkman powers Carpet Land to winning start at World Series
- Opening statements, first witness testimony begins Rodriguez-Linares trial
- Locals ask what’s next for Tyson; Pepplitsch says the city is working on it
- Wings and Wine fundraiser to benefit Blanche Senior Scholarship set for Aug. 20
- Registration open for 5th Annual Nebraska Women Veterans Symposium in Kearney
- After another defeat, Dodgers hope Skubal, Snell can snap team out of funk
- Court hears from 3 witnesses Friday morning in Rodriguez-Linares trial
- Nebraska, Creighton volleyball will be televised on Nebraska Public Media
- Bulldozers roll into national park to build Trump border wall
- Immigration agency to buy electric shock gloves
- Cozad's Landon Baker earns Good Life, Great Journey Scholarship through Nebraska Department of Transportation
How Washington Street (84th Street) looked in early Papillion, the camera pointing north from south of the West Papillion Creek.
PUBLIC DOMAIN
1857: Sarpy County, named for fur trader Peter A. Sarpy, was established by carving off a southern portion of Douglas County. Papillion was surveyed and platted, officially becoming a village in 1870, and replaced Bellevue as the county seat in 1875.
- THE WORLD-HERALD
c. 1876: The Sarpy House Hotel was built in autumn of 1870 by John Eisele. After Papillion began using electric lights, Sarpy House owner R. E. Tallon was the first to apply them to advertising, installing a flashing sign on the corner of his building in 1911.
- PAPILLION AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1909: Nebraska Traction and Power Company founds a streetcar rail line running from Omaha, through Ralston, ending in Papillion. The first interurban streetcar ran in 1911, and would continue to operate for 15 years until bus transit became the preferred method of mass transportation. Fare was anywhere between a nickel (Papillion to the county line) up to a quarter (Papillion to Omaha).
- THE WORLD-HERALD
October 22, 1911: A snappy World-Herald headline dubs Papillion 'the Hustler of Sarpy County' and goes on to highlight some of the city's landmark sites as they appeared in the early 1900s. Clockwise from top left: Papillion School House; a view of Main Street; German Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage; Papillion Roller Mills; the recently installed waterworks system; the original Sarpy County Courthouse.
- THE WORLD-HERALD
1945: Once a mecca for immediate midnight marriages, the Sarpy County Courthouse dropped from a record high of 1,796 marriage licenses issued in 1942 to a mere 98, after a 1943 Nebraska law was passed requiring couples to present a health certificate before being issued a license.
- THE WORLD-HERALD
1967: The old face of downtown Papillion, as seen from Washington Street. Several businesses agreed to remodel with aluminum and glass storefronts, in an effort to keep in harmony with the modern look of the rest of the town, and avoid a blighted status.
- THE WORLD-HERALD
1971: An aerial view of the new Papillion High School, with Omaha and La Vista distantly visible in the background. The new high school served grades 9-12, and first-year attendance was estimated at around 1,000 students.
- ROBERT PASKACH/THE WORLD-HERALD
1978: Located on the edge of Papillion, the unincorporated town of Portal, Nebraska once supported a wooden one-room school house of three students. The building was eventually purchased and relocated downtown by the Papillion Area Historical society.
- RICH JANDA/THE WORLD-HERALD
1985: A new sign appears indicating the future site of the La Vista sports center on 66th Street. Due to an ongoing debate over which city should come first when naming the joint project, it was assumed Papillionites had placed the sign as a practical joke. The complex was paid for by the city of La Vista, and continues to operate today as the La Vista Sports Complex.
- JAMES IVEY/THE WORLD-HERALD
1993: The former Union Pacific train depot awaits its fate, despite a valiant petition effort to save it. Once acquired by Papillion City Council, the depot was eventually demolished and replaced by a new public library. Further back, historic Sautter Farmhouse and Papillion City Hall can be seen.
- RICH JANDA/THE WORLD-HERALD
1996: The new Papillion Library under construction. After almost thirty years of planning and despite a rejected bond effort, a combination of city budget adjustments and private donations raised the funds necessary for the new building. Construction began in spring of 1995 and was completed by late fall the next year.
- KILEY CHRISTIAN/THE WORLD-HERALD
2016: The Papillion water tower, located near Sixth and Beadle Streets. The town's name is believed to have originated from the French 'papillon', as used by early fur traders to describe local wildlife. Dr. D. E. Beadle, sometimes mentioned as the town's father, built the first house in Papillion and was its first Postmaster.
- KENT SIEVERS/OMAHA WORLD-HERALD
Timeline: Papillion through the years
An assorted collection of historical archive photos documenting newsworthy events in the history of Papillion, from early settlements during the 1900s to recent developments.
1909: Nebraska Traction and Power Company founds a streetcar rail line running from Omaha, through Ralston, ending in Papillion. The first interurban streetcar ran in 1911, and would continue to operate for 15 years until bus transit became the preferred method of mass transportation. Fare was anywhere between a nickel (Papillion to the county line) up to a quarter (Papillion to Omaha).
- THE WORLD-HERALD
October 22, 1911: A snappy World-Herald headline dubs Papillion 'the Hustler of Sarpy County' and goes on to highlight some of the city's landmark sites as they appeared in the early 1900s. Clockwise from top left: Papillion School House; a view of Main Street; German Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage; Papillion Roller Mills; the recently installed waterworks system; the original Sarpy County Courthouse.
- THE WORLD-HERALD
1985: A new sign appears indicating the future site of the La Vista sports center on 66th Street. Due to an ongoing debate over which city should come first when naming the joint project, it was assumed Papillionites had placed the sign as a practical joke. The complex was paid for by the city of La Vista, and continues to operate today as the La Vista Sports Complex.
- JAMES IVEY/THE WORLD-HERALD
1993: The former Union Pacific train depot awaits its fate, despite a valiant petition effort to save it. Once acquired by Papillion City Council, the depot was eventually demolished and replaced by a new public library. Further back, historic Sautter Farmhouse and Papillion City Hall can be seen.
- RICH JANDA/THE WORLD-HERALD
1996: The new Papillion Library under construction. After almost thirty years of planning and despite a rejected bond effort, a combination of city budget adjustments and private donations raised the funds necessary for the new building. Construction began in spring of 1995 and was completed by late fall the next year.
- KILEY CHRISTIAN/THE WORLD-HERALD
2016: The Papillion water tower, located near Sixth and Beadle Streets. The town's name is believed to have originated from the French 'papillon', as used by early fur traders to describe local wildlife. Dr. D. E. Beadle, sometimes mentioned as the town's father, built the first house in Papillion and was its first Postmaster.
- KENT SIEVERS/OMAHA WORLD-HERALD
