Fireworks the cause of fire at North Cove garage on Johnson Lake

The garage of home located at 16 North Cove Dr. 10 on Johnson Lake was destroyed by a fire which was caused by fireworks in a trash can. The home suffered some burn and smoke damage.

JOHNSON LAKE — Smoldering fireworks in a trash can were cause of a fire which destroyed a garage and damaged a home located at North Cove during the early morning hours of July 5.

The Dawson County Sheriff’s Office and Lexington Volunteer Fire Department were contacted at 1:37 a.m. about a fire in a garage at 16 North Cove Dr. 10 located at Johnson Lake, said Dawson County Sheriff Ken Moody.

LVFD Fire Chief Dahlas Holbein said Elwood Fire and Rescue and Cozad Fire and rescue were called for mutual aid. When a fire occurs at Johnson Lake, fire districts immediately call for mutual aid from surrounding agencies.

Elwood Fire and Rescue is responsible for the Gosper County side of the lake, while LVFD is responsible for the Dawson County side.

Holbein said the automatic call for mutual aid is due to the travel time to the lake and the closeness of the cabins. Elwood and Cozad were called for extra manpower and water.

LVFD responded to the scene with a pumper truck, an air trailer and two tankers, along with 12 firefighters, Holbein said.

The fire had been suppressed around 3:30 a.m. and all LVFD units returned to station at 3:45 a.m. Holbein said they were dispatched again to the location at 7:30 a.m. due to a rekindling of fire in the grass near the location. Suppressing this new fire took 20 minutes, he said.

The garage was a complete loss and there was “a fair amount,” of fire damage and smoke damage to the home, Holbein said. No one was injured in the fire.

Holbein said the homeowner told LVFD they had been shooting off fireworks on July 4 and had thrown the spent fireworks away in a trash can. Holbein said one of the fireworks was not fully extinguished and this led to the fire.

“Everyone did a great job, our guys had a lot of help,” Holbien said about LVFD, Cozad and the Elwood firefighters, “They made the most out of a bad situation.”

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.