This power salad will keep you fueled for hours, thanks to 26 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber. Tossing the dressing and kale, and then letting it stand in the jar, softens it enough so you don’t need to massage or cook it to make it tender.
Mason Jar Power Salad with Chickpeas and Tuna
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
For the honey-mustard vinaigrette:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (coarse or smooth)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
For the salad:
- 3 cups bite-sized pieces chopped kale
- 1 (2 1/2-ounce) pouch tuna in water
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
1. To prepare the vinaigrette, whisk garlic, vinegar, mustard, honey salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. (Makes 1/2 cup.)
2. To assemble the salad, toss kale and 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette in a bowl, then transfer to a 1-quart mason jar. Top with tuna, chickpeas and carrot. Screw lid onto the jar and refrigerate for up to two days.
3. To serve, empty the jar contents into a bowl and toss to combine the salad ingredients with the dressed kale.
Recipe nutrition per serving: 430 Calories, Total Fat: 23 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Fiber: 8 g, Total Sugars: 5 g, Added Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 26 g, Sodium: 496 mg, Potassium: 884 mg, Folate: 81 mcg, Calcium: 144 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
(EatingWell is a magazine and website devoted to healthy eating as a way of life. Online at www.eatingwell.com.)
In this Series
- 7 updates
Satisfy your cravings
With our weekly newsletter packed with the latest in everything food.